Article Analysis Worksheet
Similarities and Differences Venn Diagram
Summative Assessment: Civic Engagement Activity and Report
To support this activity, use the Lesson 2 Presentation.
Introducing idea of Community Needs
- Remind students of the many ways that Dosan helped his community – including the formation of Friendship Society (Chinmoke Hoe), the Korean Labor Bureau, and the Korean National Association. These organizations helped early Korean immigrants. Dosan spent time determining the needs of his community and acted to help individuals improve their lives.
- Ask students to identify needs of their community and how they might help individuals improve their lives. As needed, encourage them to consider a wide variety of needs by mentioning ideas from Civic Engagement Resources.
Introducing idea of Civic Engagement
- Review the two slides on Civic Engagement – making sure to discuss the four constructs and seven categories. Show the short video, What is Civic Engagement? (1.52 minutes).
Completing the Civic Engagement Project
- Review the slides on the Civic Engagement Project. Have students complete and share their top five Civic Engagement Choices Worksheet.
- Have students choose groups (or work individually) to complete the Civic Engagement Options Worksheet. Some of this can be completed during class, but contact must be made by phone or email to confirm the possibilities.
- Approve their final choices and give them time to complete the activities. Remind them to track their hours on the Civic Engagement Time Log Sheet.
- Finally, have students prepare their report. Review the Civic Engagement Report Presentation Scoring Guide and have them deliver presentations during class.
- See also Lesson 2 Teacher’s Guide and Presentation found under Activity 2.
- Video: What is Civic Engagement?
- Civic Engagement Choices
- Civic Engagement Options
- Civic Engagement Time Log Sheet
- Civic Engagement Report Presentation Scoring Guide
Civic Engagement Choices (PDF)
Civic Engagement Options (PDF)
Civic Engagement Time Log Sheet (PDF)
Civic Engagement Report Scoring Guide (PDF)