Activity 7.1: A Cry for Justice
Students create a timeline of events associated with Saigu, the 1992 LA Civil Unrest. They define terms related to the event, including civil unrest, riot, uprising, justice, injustice, advocate. They analyze differences between justice and injustice as it relates to race and poverty in America.
A historic photograph of Korean Americans keeping watch over a store during the LA Riots of 1992. (Source: LA Times)
- What events occurred during the 1992 LA Civil Unrest?
- Who was involved in the unrest and what were their roles?
- What were some outcomes of the unrest?
- How does civil unrest affect communities who have limited access to financial or social support?
- How has this incident shaped issues of justice and injustice for Korean Americans?
- Use Lesson 7: Saigu – The 1992 LA Civil Unrest presentation to support this lesson.
- Begin this lesson by having students brainstorm definitions for the following terms: civil unrest, riot, uprising, justice, injustice, advocate
Introduction to Saigu
- Use the lecture presentation to introduce what happened during Saigu.
Timeline Activity Internet Activity
- Either individually, pairs, or trios (using student devices) or as a class (via teacher device), have students complete the Saigu Map and Timeline Activity using the interactive map at K’TOWN 92 MAP.
Reflecting on Justice versus Injustice
- Show the YouTube video, 1992 LA Riots, Mojo’s Top 5 Facts (6:58 min). As students watch, have them note examples of justice and injustice (and to whom and from whom) presented in the video on the T-Chart: Justice.
- Individually, in pairs, or small groups, have students complete a Think-Pair-Share: What is the difference between justice and injustice? What examples of injustice did you see in the story of Saigu? Who benefits from injustice? Who benefits from justice? How might advocates impact injustice?
Closing the Activity
- Show the Vimeo video, April’s Way: a 1992 LA Riots Short Film (8:14 minutes) (based on a true story).
- End class with review and discussion of the activity questions and how the April’s Way film reshaped or reinforced their answers.
- Lesson 7 Teacher’s Guide (PDF)
- Lesson 7 Presentation (PPT; PDF version downloadable on Scribd)
- Worksheet: Saigu Map and Timeline (Word)
- Worksheet: Saigu Map and Timeline (PDF)
- Worksheet Answers (PDF)
- Worksheet: T-Chart Justice (PDF)
- Website: K’TOWN 92 Interactive Map and Timeline
- YouTube Video: Mojo’s Top 5 Facts: The 1992 LA Riots
- Vimeo Video: April’s Way: a 1992 LA Riots Story
Worksheet: Saigu Timeline of Events (PDF)
YouTube Video: LA Riots: MoJo’s Top 5 Facts (6:57 minutes)
Worksheet: T-Chart Justice (PDF)
Vimeo Video: April’s Way (8:57 minutes)