Activity 8.2: Oscar Winners: A Closer Look at Minari
Students view and analyze a Korean American film, Minari, explore impacts on Korean American identity.
- How have movies directed by or starring Koreans and Korean Americans made an international impact?
- How does the film, Minari, shape your understanding of Korean American identify?
- How might the increasing popularity of films by and about Koreans and Korean Americans impact the lives of Korean Americans today?
- Use the Lesson 8: Korean Popular Culture in the United States (Activity 8.2) presentation to support this lesson.
- Use the presentation to introduce the film and discussion questions before viewing.
- If you only want to show brief parts of the film and discuss them with students, use the clips at Minari Movie Guide and Lesson Plan.
- With at least one partner and no more than three others, have students choose and complete enough activities from the list below to earn a potential 90 points. Make all the worksheets available to students.
- Level 1 Activities (30 pt. each)
- Character Map
- Story Map
- Sequence Chart
- Level 2 Activities (60 pt. each)
- Movie Critique Presentation/Video
- Movie Poster (digital or print)
- Use the questions below to engage students in discussion.
Closing the Activity
- End class with review and discussion of the activity questions.
- If time permits, show the trailer for Parasite and encourage students to view the full movie.
- Video: Minari Trailer
- Video: Parasite Trailer
- Worksheet: Character Map (Word)
- Worksheet: Character Map (PDF)
- Worksheet: Story Elements Organizer (Word)
- Worksheet: Story Elements Organizer (PDF)
- Worksheet: Story Events Sequence Chart (Word)
- Worksheet: Story Events Sequence Chart (PDF)
- Handout: Movie Critique Presentation/Video Directions and Storyboard (Word)
- Handout: Movie Critique Presentation/Video Directions and Storyboard (PDF)
- Handout: Movie Poster Directions (Word)
- Handout: Movie Poster Directions (PDF)
Character Map Worksheet (PDF)
Story Elements Organizer Worksheet (PDF)
Story Events Sequence Chart Worksheet (PDF)
Movie Poster Directions (PDF)
Movie Critique Presentation/Video Directions/Storyboard (PDF)
YouTube Video: Minari Official Trailer (2 minutes)
Minari: A Korean-American family moves to an Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream. Amidst the challenges of this new life in the strange and rugged Ozarks, they find the undeniable resilience of family and what really makes a home.