Activity 8.1: Hallyu and K-Pop: A Global Phenomenon
Students explore Hallyu, the Korean Wave, and analyze K-Pop and Hallyu examples.
- What is ” Hallyu, the Korean Wave,” and how is it impacting the global economy and global culture?
- How is K-Pop similar and different from other genres of music?
- How has the popularity of Korean culture and pop music shaped Korean American identify?
- How has Korean culture and K-Pop influenced your understanding of South Korea’s current status in the world?
- Use the Lesson 8: Korean Popular Culture in the United States (Activity 8.1) presentation to support this lesson.
Introduction to Hallyu: The Korean Wave
- Review the activity questions.
- Present lecture material introducing the topic of Hallyu.
- OPTIONAL: Show the video, “A Brief History of Hallyu,” which focuses on Korean films (6:47 minutes).
- Provide students time in class to pair up and select a Hallyu example to
research. Review the assignment with students and provide time in class or assign as homework.
- Let students know they will select and research a specific example of Hallyu to research and share. Students will prepare a one-page report.
- Title, author, and year originally published/created
- 50-words summary and description
- Reasons it has become internationally popular
- Whether the intended audience is children, youth, adults, or all of the above.
- Two images of the example
- One YouTube clip (less than 3 minutes long) of the example.
- Have students share their reports and videos in class.
Introduction to K-POP
- Open the lesson by playing one of the songs by BTS or BlackPink.
- Present lecture material introducing the topic of K-Pop.
Compare and Contrast Activity
- Distribute lyrics to Girls’ Generation’s Mr. Taxi and Kelly Clarkson’s Breakaway.
- Play both musical videos and make them available for students to replay while completing the comparison/contrast activity.
- Distribute and review the K-Pop Music Comparison/Contrast Activity and have students complete the worksheet in pairs or small groups.
- End class with review and discussion of the activity questions.
- Lesson 8 Presentation (PPT)
- Lesson 8 Teachers’ Guide (Word)
- Lesson 8 Teachers’ Guide (PDF)
- Handout: Hallyu Research Assignment (Word)
- Handout: Hallyu Research Assignment (PDF)
- Handout: KPOP Comparison/Contrast Worksheet (Word)
- Handout: KPOP Comparison/Contrast Worksheet (PDF)
- Handout: Lyrics to Mr. Taxi (English and Japanese)
- Handout: Lyrics to Breakaway (English)
- Video: Brief History of Hallyu
- Music Video: Butter (BTS)
- Music Video: DDU-DU DDU-DU (BlackPink)
- Music Video: Mr. Taxi (Girls’ Generation, Korean version)
- Music Video: Mr. Taxi (Girls’ Generation, English version cover)
- Music Video: Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson)
Hallyu Research Assignment (PDF)
K-POP Comparison/Contrast Worksheet (PDF)
YouTube Video: Brief History of Hallyu (6:47 minutes)
YouTube Video: The Korean Wave: How South Korea is Dominating the Internet (9:08 minutes)
Lyrics Breakaway English (PDF)
Lyrics Mr.Taxi Japanese English (PDF)