Activity 7.2: Experiences of Korean Americans during the 1992 LA Civil Unrest
Using interviews of Korean Americans who were part of the 1992 LA Riots, students explore the impact of the 1992 Los Angeles Civil Unrest by analyzing interviews of individuals who were part of it.
Korean American Story. (Source: Logo of KoreanAmericanStory.com) The Legacy Project is an oral history project of KoreanAmericanStory.org. The concept of the Legacy Project is to provide the Korean American community an easy turnkey process to capture the stories of individuals and families through video recordings.
Students explore the impact of the 1992 Civil Unrest by analyzing interviews of individuals who were part of it.
- How were Korean Americans (both those who lived during the event and those who have been born since) impacted by the 1992 Civil Unrest?
- What are similarities and differences between these experiences?
- What did they see as some of the causes of the 1992 Civil Unrest?
- What impact was felt in the Korean American Community?
- What impacts were felt by other groups (i.e., LAPD, African American population, Latino/Hispanic population, etc.)?
- Use the Lesson 7: Saigu – The 1992 LA Civil Unrest presentation to support this lesson.
Before the Video
- Introduce the Legacy Project website.
During the Video
- Distribute the Legacy Project Video Activity and have students complete the column for the interview you show to the whole class.
- Show the video, Saigu LA Riots – Hyepin Im, or an alternative video(s) selected from the Legacy Project.
- Have students use their devices to select a second interview to view and complete the second column.
- Invite students to share their analysis with a peer, small group, or whole class
to identify similarities and differences between interviewee experiences and ideas.
- End class with review and discussion of the activity questions and how the April’s Way film reshaped or reinforced their answers.
- See also Lesson 7 Teacher’s Guide and Lesson 7 Presentation, found under Activity 7.1.
- Worksheet: Legacy Project Activity: The Impact of 1992 Civil Unrest (Word)
- Worksheet: Legacy Project Activity: The Impact of 1992 Civil Unrest (PDF)
- Website: The Legacy Project
- Video: Legacy Project: Saigu LA Riots – Hyepin Im
- Combating Myths (30 years after Rodney King): Korean Community Experience and the LA Riots.
Worksheet on Legacy Project Activity: Impact of 1992 Civil Unrest (PDF)
YouTube Video: Sa-I-Gu (41 minutes)